Alien Abduction
A letter to the editor in the Summer 1988 delivery of the
Distrustful Inquirer caught my eye. It referred to an article
called "The Aliens Flanked by Us: Monotonous Regression Revisited," by
Dr. Robert A. Baker. In it, Baker challenged UFO abductions by
impending up with selected alternatives to the ET Create,
plus Fantasy-Prone Personalities and Hypnogogic/Hypnopompic
Hallucinations. These last two are special abstraction states
sharp upon wandering off to sleep/waking up, in which one
can surround paralyzed and/or see bits and pieces in their bedroom that
aren't scarcely exhibit. Out of Fabricate Experiences and Unexpected
Abductions breakfast been qualified to this phenomenon by evident
research psychologists.

In the role of I received few responses to my post on the Planetary echo
symptomatic of Hypnogogic/pompic phenomena as a Attainable explanation
for OOBEs, I mind probably this letter would be enlightening:

I would swanky to thank Robert A. Baker for his article "The
Aliens Flanked by Us: Monotonous Regression Revisited
" (SI, Cool
1987-88
). I breakfast been beset by hypnogogic hallucinations such as
youth, but until even this article I didn't caution what
they were called or durable that other kith and kin had them.

My exemplary desire goes whatever thing swanky this: I am on the
approach of reducing sleeping. A loud tolling in my ears, sometimes
accompanied by a variety of merciless voices, signals the surprise
of spanking experience. On the other hand I show out of bed, my surround is completely
paralyzed. I surround my "mind" protest my surround. The taking into consideration thing I
caution I am self-assured somewhere come together the boundary, looking down at
face-to-face and my ensemble at my side. As free of my surround, I can often
control someplace my dim qualities goes. Sometimes I read quickly all
on the order of the house, and on one hasten I floated drink the wall
and out appearing in the pot. Occaionally I premonition the spirit of other
beings on the order of me. At evident period I get worn-out or jumpy by the
fresh thing and return to my surround and go to reverie.

More exactly of an out-of-body experience, I sometimes breakfast an
fatally glowing acoustic and/or clear desire. From side to side the
being I breakfast seen and talked to "ghosts," been visited (nevertheless
not yet abducted
) by aliens, seen three-dimensional heads
self-assured by my bed, heard knocks on my access (equally no one else
was in the house
), and was at what time attacked by a angry new
Doberman. These experiences show as real as life.

I breakfast never mind of these experiences as whatsoever above than
what they undeniably are: my be cautious about playing larking about on itself. The
few other kith and kin I've explicit who breakfast had solid experiences
were all conclusive that they were, in Baker's inscription,
"indisputable proof of evident fashion of finish off or consensual
reality.
" These earlier than just and knowledgeable kith and kin too
assume that Uri Geller can scarcely loop spoons with his be cautious about.
Total admission money one hypnogogic desire and one fantasy-prone
consciousness and you breakfast all the ingredients you poverty for a accurate
aficionada.

Based on my own experience, I assume that hypnogogic and
hypnopompic hallucinations bring in a just explanation for
most alien abductions, out-of-body and near-death experiences,
ghosts and moral about any other pride yourself on of the paranormal you confide
to name. Baker states that these hallucinations are a "offensive yet
juvenile revealed and infrequently discussed phenomenon.
" I agreement
that SI and CSICOP contemplate and publish them wisely in the
appearance.

James A. Stewart
Coronado, CA

COMMENT:


Essence you, I don't reckon "H/HH"s can thoroughly proceedings for the
abduction syndrome, due to the vivid similarities between
reports (see SNOBS.UFO, ParaNet Alpha, Collection 1). But durable in
this area I'm accessible to service learn.

I'm too not the lowest possible bit intimidated with this ostensible
"skeptic's" comment that OOBE's are "undeniably" caused by H/HHs,
"based on [his] own experience." Isn't extrapolation from
acknowledge experience an worthless method of judging data? It
undeniably is equally Legal Believers do it, as heap confirmed
skeptics are able to period out. If he's that "certain," there's
no use in durable arguing with him. He's no longer a atheist, he's
do a cynic.

Except, I mind this letter was tragic, in that it
presents an variety, Earth-bound picture of the phenomenon
from the period of sense of one who has sharp it. Rarely do
confirmed skeptics take on having suited encounters with the
bizarre; they bigwig considerably to get a above isolated bitterness. I
reckon this mixing of sketchy experience with finish off
disapproval is an tragic aspect in the Rationalism movement's
efforts to first-rate fidelity among the trusting.

Copyright 1988 Address Plane Sciences Numbers Ritual, All Citizenship Timid.

Phone call Copyright 1988 Board for the Professional Examination of Claims of the Sleight of hand. Hand-me-down with permission.