Do You Know What Dwells In The Desert
I got an email from MUFON the other day asking me this question: "Do you know what dwells in the desert?"I didn't know, actually, but because I am trying my darndest to be a better MUFON member I thought I should find out. Turns out, it's a trick question! What dwells in the desert isn't what you think it is at all. It's actually the MUFON 2013 Symposium, coming up this July 18-21 in Las Vegas, NV.A little disappointing. I thought there was some major announcement coming in from MUFON HQ that was going to rock my world, and it was just a sales pitch for the damn convention. I shouldn't have been surprised, because for the past few weeks I've been getting one sensational email after another from MUFON directing me to attend the Symposium. The funny thing is, some of them are somewhat enticing, while others are absolutely not.For instance, the day after I got the "Do You Know...?" email I got another one announcing that Dr. Steven Greer would be at the Symposium hosting a screening of his recent film "Sirius," which got a dismal Metascore of 16 on metacritic.com and a unique and perhaps prestigious "No score yet" on rottentomatoes.com.If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know what a monumental turn-off this whole topic is for me. 'Nuff said.But then today I got an enticing email with another shocking subject line: "

TO BE DISCLOSED AT THE SYMPOSIUM


> Revealing radar simulations of data obtained from the Stephenville event...
"Damn! Another shocking recent UFO case that I know next to nothing about! When will MUFON get around to giving me a full debriefing?I set aside my shock and read the email, and was shocked anew: Under the provocative title: "
Pending Disclosure
" the email said that "Robert Powell will be revealing a simulation of the radar data that was obtained from the Stephenville event in 1980. The simulations (sic) will display the movement of an unknown object without a transponder signal in the same location as described by the witnesses."Still not knowing anything about "The Stephenville Event," I decided to do a little reading. This is what I learned: On January 8, 2008, an unidentified flying object (UFO) was apparently seen by witnesses on the ground and tracked by radar in the vicinity of Stephenville, TX.Yep, that's it. That's the "event."The thing is, this presenter, Robert Powell, is one of the author/editors of "UFOs and Government," a nearly 600 page epic about UFOs and, of course, Government, that is really an impressive piece of historical reporting and has become my benchmark for my book about Dr. J. Allen Hynek. So I'm inclined to think that he will put on a good show. Does this former President hold the key to the UFO enigma?I'm also swayed by a curious little detail about the Stephenville event. This UFO that was tracked on radar but slipped past military planes unnoticed was actually on a collision course with President George W. Bush's "Western White House" in Crawford, TX. And when I say it was on a collision course, I mean it was headed in roughly that direction. It was headed towards the general vicinity of Crawford, TX, where it might have encountered the President while he was out clearing brush.It's an interesting thing to think about, isn't it? That super-advanced, unbelievably intelligent aliens from a distant world might have decided that the first human they wanted to contact was W?